The US Department of Transportation (DOT), the International Air Transport Association (IATA), and a number of other agencies regulate the transport of hazardous and non-hazardous goods.The penalties for failing to ship properly include fines for Tech and yourself, as well as possible criminal charges. To ensure these regulations are followed, EHS ships these items for you. If you need to ship a biological agent, please see the Biosafety Office's shipping page.
There are 4 steps in the shipping process:
- Take the online Shipment of Dangerous Goods Training every 2 years.
- Go to https://training.osp.gatech.edu/ and log in.
- Select "Classes By Title" on the left.
- Scroll down and select "Shipment of Dangerous Goods" (it will open in a new tab).
- In the new tab, click "Shipment of Dangerous Goods".
- Click "Enroll Me".
- Take the course.
- Take the final test.
- Prepare your documents (detailed below).
- Indicate how you plan to drop off your material for shipment with EHS by submitting this webform. In order for us to make appropriate arrangements, we request 24 hours notice for domestic shipments and 48 hours notice for international shipments.
- On the day of the shipment, bring your material in secondary containment, with a sealed and secure inner container.
- Bring dry ice, if applicable, in addition to all of your completed paperwork and relevant safety information.